Monday, September 27, 2010

Why I decided to read the book "The Speech Chain"


Dear Professor and my fellow classmates,
For the research project I will be reading “The Speech Chain: The Physics and Biology of Spoken Language” By Peter B Denes and Elliot N Pinson. While conducting a mini research on the books listed on the syllabus, all of them looked equally interesting and of importance for me; it was very difficult to choose one over the others. I have decided to choose this book for a couple of reasons which I am going to mention below.
First, I felt that the book is written in very simple English language which for me is easy to comprehend. I am a non-native speaker of English. I believe, mastering over a book written in an advance level of English language would consume a significant amount of time and effort which I cannot afford now because I am taking three more classes in this semester (1st session), although it could benefit me in the future.
Second, after reading the information about the books and the very beginning sections of the book, I believe that it has a very close relation to the course – Introduction to Language. I further believe that it benefits me significantly to the better understanding of the course.
Like the title of the book suggests the book is all about the sequence of the events when we speak. Although we make speeches every now and then – like other regular activities in our lives – we take it for granted; we do not pay much attention on how the process of speech is formed. The writer suggests that a speech is a chain of events which consists of deciding what we want to deliver, arranging words following the grammatical rules governing the systematic language, activating our voice mechanisms and producing sounds and so on.
I am excited!
Good luck for your readings all of my fellow classmates.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for wishing me luck Indra =). I agree with you when you said "Although we make speeches every now and then – like other regular activities in our lives – we take it for granted; we do not pay much attention on how the process of speech is formed." This is true because most of the words we use today we are not aware of its orgin.Hence,we as human do not pay attention to the formation of words, which shows as you said we are taking it for granted.

    ReplyDelete