Tuesday, October 5, 2010

This is how my name is pronounced

My name is Indra. Linguists can pronounce my name very easily. They would pronounce my name as [inðrə] On the other hand, whenever I say my name to the non-linguist native English speakers, nobody could understand how to pronounce it in the first shot and I have to spell it out. When I spell my name to them, they pronounce it as [indrə] which is not correct. I do not blame them because the consonant [d] always sounds [d] not [ð]. Now I have learned how to make them pronounce my name correctly. I would tell them to say “in” first, then to pronounce ‘th’, just like they would pronounce the first two letters in the word ‘the’. The last two letters in my name is to be pronounced as they would do the last two letters of the word ‘opera’.


1 comment:

  1. before this post, i automatically thought your name was pronounced [indrə]. this is because i assumed your name was pronounced how it was spelled, but now i know differently,and i will not mess it up next time=)

    ReplyDelete